Monday, April 22, 2013

Design Rules (According to ME): Part 1

My creative, albeit ginger, friend/roommate Kaitlin had a post on her Small Things blog about her design rules. Thought it might be nice to do the same. But I have a lot to say, so I'm splitting into several posts.

I agree with her when she says:

"Never, ever hyphenate your text.
I hate hyphenated text. With the ability to adjust tracking, leading, kerning, size, stroke, etc. there is no reason that you can't alter the shape of your text to fit an area or be more appealing. And hyphenation looks janky. You aren't writing a book, you're making art. Don't be lazy."

italicize
Kaitlin hates italicized text. I think it has a nice place often in subhead. as long as it's a font that is still readable when italicized. 






color


red: i like my red a bit darker, shades of maroon are also acceptable.
orange: i love orange! as long as it isn't burnt orange. that's disgusting.
yellow: can't say i love bright yellow. I usually opt for more of a mustard or gold.
green: green however, i like really bright. lime, kelly or what i like to call "Starbucks" green are all preferable to forrest or other dark greens.
blue: i love all shades of blue. jewel, midnight, cyan, sky, or teal are all fantastic.
purple: don't care too much for it. i'd rather have blue.





No comments:

Post a Comment