Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Stories We Tell

So this weekend I was lucky enough to get to catch NINE true/false films. By far my favorite of the weekend was Stories We Tell.

Stories We Tell was director Sarah Polley's look into her own family's secrets. The film covered some pretty deep topics in a delightfully light hearted manner. I feel like the audience was rolling with laughter at the larger than life characters but still quickly attached emotionally to this characters that, had they been presented in a more straight forward manner may not have been as sympathetic. What's also amazing to me is that a documentary had more twists than any narrative writer could dream of, I would have never guessed the big secret.

It really got me thinking about my own family history, and how there is so much I want to know about it. Hey, it could make a great documentary. Like they say in the film, everyone has a story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment