Sunday, March 17, 2013

App recommendation/review: What the font?!

So a regular feature I'm going to start doing is app recommendations.


This week: What The Font?!


Splash page.
You start by taking/uploading a photo of a font that you have seen and love and want to know what the eff it is! This happens to me all of the time.


After uploading/taking a photo, you crop to highlight one word. It's best to take the photo straight on, without any tilt or angle to the photo. Also, no glare is preferable.


The app then guesses what characters it "sees." This is where the app is lacking in my opinion. It's not very good at recognizing characters, as you can see.


After correctly identifying characters and selecting identify, it gives font suggestions. It's not entirely accurate, but it gives some close ones that will do the job most of the time.




Overall, this app isn't the best designed or functioning app, but it does what I need it to do. It's a great idea. I'd love to know if there are any other apps with similar functions that are more effective? Let me know y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment