Friday, February 22, 2013

Meredith Design- Stir

So for our Meredith project, I am in the young entertaining/cooking magazine group.

Here's the Working Mission Statement from the publishers: the magazine strives to create a platform on which young readers and new entertainers can build their knowledge of everyday cooking and hosting. We share simple tips and current trends that will enrich the everyday lives of our readers. Filled with startup projects, ideas for hosting, and recipes that cater to an array of skill sets, the magazine reaches young entertainers through a variety of platforms, which are accessible beyond the print product. 

Their Working Titles: Steep, Host, Stir

I went with Stir.




my cover. i didn't want to go with a lot of sell lines. i may have to fight publishers on this, but i'm willing to. I think this is much more appealing for the audience we are targeting, and will look completely different from all other food magazines.
masthead is bodoni font, at a 15 degree tilt. 


Here's a sample dept page. This was difficult, because I had really great art idea for this piece, and didn't just want to create a template for a dept page, which I think was the point of designing this page. I may perhaps design another page, just a template, that would work for the magazine month to month. 


Feature spread. I would like the features to have a different design every month, so this is just an example of types of art we would use and font styles. 
Body fonts are din and else.

I also mistakenly thought we were supposed to design a TOC, but I guess we weren't. whoops. here it is.

Lastly, here's my color palette.



1 comment:

  1. Overall, I really like the look and feel of your designs. Here's a few suggestions though:
    It may look different printed out, but I think your red and orange-red are too close of colors and look a little odd together.
    Like you said, your department page would be hard to replicate month-to-month, so a more templated look may help. Maybe use this idea/design for a sidebar?

    ReplyDelete