Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Graduation Invitations

So I wanted to design my own graduation invitations.
I'm thinking postcard style, with lot of typography treatment. I always hated high school graduation invites with huge pictures of the graduate. NO ONE WANTS TO SEE THAT.
So I'm trying to make a nice one, but lacking inspiration/direction. Here's what I have so far:

Which font looks best?
Will it confuse my older relatives to have type turned sideways?
Is the bottom type too spread out?
Do the columns look ok?
Do I need to incorporate a graduation cap/scroll something of the sort?
meh.

2 comments:

  1. I like your straight typography approach. I love how Miz-zou hugs the columns. And I think alternating between gold and white makes the words pop nicely.
    I don't think it's confusing to turn the card to read different parts of the text.
    You might try right aligning the 6:30 pm part or maybe adding "at" so that the text goes all the way across—just to see how that looks.

    I'm not wild about the cap and scroll.
    But maybe you could incorporate the J-school somehow...I mean, you made it through one of the top journalism schools in the country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea, I didn't even think about this! I might just take your idea for myself :). Why spend money at Walgreens or Snapfish when we can make our own designs? I think there needs to be more space between the sideways text and the Mizzou with columns as it looks a little busy. I don't think it is confusing to have the text sideways, but again I think it will be easier to read if there is a little breathing room.

    I think the columns do look okay, but I agree that the bottom text is a little too spaced out, but not bad. Definitely like the song in there (very cute!).

    I also agree with mentioning something about the J-school since it is a pretty amazing accomplishment.

    ...Great idea!

    ReplyDelete